And below this one is the recipe for the baked ziti recipe that I liked better. :) The picture is of the turkey sausage one...It makes a lot! Don't judge my portion size. ;)
|3/4 pound(s) uncooked turkey sausage(s), spicy-variety, casings removed|
|1 medium uncooked onion(s), chopped|
|1 medium green pepper(s), chopped|
|28 oz canned diced tomatoes|
|10 oz frozen green peas, thawed|
|2 Tbsp canned tomato paste|
|1 tsp dried oregano|
|1 tsp dried basil|
|1/2 tsp dried thyme|
|1/2 tsp fennel seed|
|1/2 tsp table salt, or to taste|
|1/2 tsp black pepper, freshly ground|
|12 oz uncooked whole wheat pasta, ziti, cooked according to package directions|
|6 oz shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese|
- Position the rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Crumble the sausage meat into a large saucepan and brown over medium heat, stirring often, about 4 minutes.
- Drain off any fat, then add the onion and bell pepper. Cook, stirring often, until softened, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes, peas, tomato paste, oregano, basil, thyme, fennel seeds, salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer, then reduce the heat and cook uncovered 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Stir in the cooked pasta and half the cheese. Spread evenly into a 9- X 13-inch baking pan. Top evenly with the remaining cheese.
- Bake until the cheese has melted and the casserole is bubbling, about 20 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes at room temperature before slicing into 8 pieces. Yields 1 piece per serving.
|12 oz uncooked ziti|
|2 tsp olive oil|
|2 clove(s) (medium) garlic clove(s), minced|
|1/3 pound(s) uncooked lean ground beef|
|1 tsp dried oregano|
|1 tsp dried thyme|
|1 tsp dried rosemary|
|1/2 tsp table salt|
|1/2 tsp black pepper|
|28 oz canned crushed tomatoes|
|1 cup(s) (shredded) part-skim mozzarella cheese|
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cook pasta according to package directions; drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat; add garlic and sauté 2 minutes. Add beef and cook until browned, breaking up meat with a spoon as it cooks, about 3 to 5 minutes; drain off any fat and set pan back over medium heat.
- Add oregano, thyme, rosemary, salt and pepper; stir to coat beef. Cook until herbs become fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add tomatoes and bring mixture to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Spoon a small amount of beef-tomato mixture into bottom of a 4-quart casserole dish (just enough to cover surface); top with half of cooked ziti. Next, layer with half of remaining beef-tomato sauce and half of mozzarella cheese. Layer with remaining ziti and then top with remaining beef-tomato sauce; sprinkle with remaining mozzarella cheese. Bake until cheese is golden and bubbly, about 30 minutes. Slice into 8 pieces and serve. Yields 1 piece per serving.